Friday, September 7, 2012

New placemats

Big Miss and MrToffle have been home sick and we have mostly quarantined ourselves in the house this week.
Our one outing was taking the kids to mum's house so they could do more of what they were doing here - sitting on the couch watching tv. Changing the venue for a couple of hours made an amazing change to our ability to co-exist.
I was able to look at some recent acquisitions to the fabric stash at Mum's. There were a number of cushion covers from a display house donated to a friend of a friend that have ended up with us. Although I have two cushions on the couch these cases were far bigger than my tiny cushions and I immediately thought they would look great on my dining table...
And look! They do...
For those who are interested, the cushion covers were the size of 2 placemats with an invisible zip down the longest edge.
 I cut the zip off, (still need to figure out what to do with all the beige invisible zips) cut the cushion in half and overlocked the long side shut. I then turned the remaining side edges in and topstitched right around it.
I have also stitched along two of the stripes on the fabric hoping for less bagging when I wash them.
I have no idea how they will go. I intend to throw them in the machine and most likely the dryer (in winter) so I do not know if they will last long. But really, the price was right and we have already used them a couple of times this week. Either the fabric repels food and stains or I have not given the kids as messy food because they do not need a wash yet.
But for now, they make me smile.
That is enough.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

The place mats are great, nice and colourful!