Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A knit for me

I am trying again. A knit for me. Not socks, a hat or scarf - a sweater. Sleeveless because we are heading into summer. (and because it is quicker, but we won't dwell too much on that...)
So I scoured the patterns on ravelry found a couple and shortilisted them in my queue then got MrToffle to pick which one to attempt.
I measured and found I could fit into a smaller size than my head told me. And anyone know what this means? Less yardage required! Fewer skeins, same budget...
You see where I am going?
So I ordered some beautiful yarn from the loopy ewe and yes, I even got MrToffle to help with colour selection because it can be kind of overwhelming with so many shades of  the same colour available.
It came in skeins so I have been busily winding it into balls using my makeshift swift and nostepinne.

Doesn't it look great? 


And I have already started swatching, something I never do. EVER.

But this time, I want it right. So I have started with a flat swatch and I love it. The yarn is so soft! I noticed when I was winding it into the ball but knitted it is devine. The only issue is, not quite the right gauge. For someone who never swatches this is the interesting bit...I need to do another with different needles. How many times will this happen? What do I do with all these little squares when I am done? Will all this work mean I will finish the top? I think I want to know more than anyone else.

Just in case any of you are wondering, I have started another sweater for me. It has some beautiful cables on it. It has stalled at the top of the front side. (knit bottom up in the round) I am tossing up whether to ever do the sleeves or adapt it to sleeveless. Because who am I kidding? I started in January 2011 and stopped working on it...oh, around the time the friend I was knitting along with finished hers. Maybe July of 2011. It sits in a box in my loungeroom glaring and laughing at me. I would provide a photo but that just gives it more power...

Anyway onto new and hopefully completable things!

2 comments:

Andi said...

beautiful yarn choice! mr. Toffle did good :)

And please show us the WIP! Give it power! You know you want to ;)

Leonie said...

Normally when I swatch I knit on one size needles, do a purl bump row, then change needle size up or down depending on the look of the first one, and do that a couple of times until I like the look of it. I don't cut the yarn, I wash it and block it and let it dry then measure to see which one gets gauge. When I'm knitting the garment this is the last ball/skein to be used and I start at the other end of the ball and knit until I get to the swatch and then frog it if I need the yarn. Also frogged gauge swatches can be used to make hats if the swatch is big enough :-)