Saturday, September 14, 2013

New patterns!

This week has resulted in no finished items.

Stuck at home, sick but not sick enough to be completely incapacitated what could I do?

I did what anyone would do, I shopped online.

I bought some Simplicity patterns and discovered that it is worth checking pattern company's sites from different countries. A pattern that was $10 on Simplicity US was only $6 on Simplicity UK. (Let's not discuss the price of the patterns on my home country site) What is with that? The postage was just over a dollar to get it from the UK site. When they arrived (very promptly)  I discovered that this was because they came all the way from a Sydney warehouse. I cannot understand it. No advantage to buy from my home country site at all. Why bother having multiple sites (all were English speaking countries too) surely other people would check this too?

I digress. So here are the two Simplicity patterns I got. I am not certain either of them will suit me as I do not wear dresses much. I am ambitiously thinking it is because I have not found the right one yet. Maybe one of these will be it!
I bought 1537 because I love the look of a scoopy neck and a swishy skirt. (yes, I am sure those are the technical terms.) One thing I already dislike about the pattern is the zip right down the back. Oh well, you want fitted in a non-stretch fabric you need to make some concessions.  

I bought 1800 not because of the cover picture or even the drawings. To put it simply, I bought it because Laura made the most fantastic version with piping and what great fabric. I am not sure of the etiquette for using a picture from someone else's blog so you will just have to follow the link to see what I mean. In order to get my dress to look like this there are a few obstacles I will need to overcome. Including but not limited to, finding awesome fabric, learning how to put in piping and adding zips.

And then because the other pattern I want for me is not in stock yet, I got a pattern for the girls. 
I bought the Geranium dress pattern. I was going to only get the larger sizes but it was only a little more to get both...Can you guess what I did? Yes, I got both. You never know when you will need to whip up a little girl dress after all. This pattern comes as a PDF so I was able to print, tape and trace out the pieces while at home. Now all I need is to get to Mum's and raid the stash!

Cannot wait for next week. I think that all the kids will be able to get to their daily events which will give me some time to sew!

Bliss.


3 comments:

Leonie said...

So how are your arms going?

The sewing adventures sound interesting.

toffle said...

Not great. Can knit a couple of rounds every couple of days. :(

she knits said...

looks like some great sewing coming up :0) What size does geranium go up to? Looks sweet :0)
Love Mel x x
P.S Love the blog going again :0)